Hello, readers today you are going to read the introduction of C programming language. In this session, you will read the history of C language, characteristics/features, limitations and applications of C language. So let’s get started.
C is a very popular programming language. Even today, there is no shortage of popularity in C programming language. It is very important to learn the C language before learning any other language. Because whatever programming languages came after C, they have adopted some of the features of C programming language somehow. Let’s try to know about C language in detail.
History of C programming language
C is a structured general purpose programming language. It was developed to rewrite the UNIX operating system. Earlier UNIX operating system was written in B programming language. The entire UNIX operating system and the programs running on it are written in the C programming language itself.
B language was written by Ken Thompson in Bell Laboratories in 1970. B was a typeless language. It was developed by Dennis Ritchie in Bell Laboratories in 1972. C language provides many types of data types.
The syntax of C programming language is followed by many popular languages. C’s improved version is C#. The features of C are followed by languages like Java and C ++.
Characteristics & Features of C programming language
- C is a modular language. In C, a large program is divided into smaller modules (functions). By doing this, there is ease in managing and debugging programs.
- C is a flexible language. C provides 32 consecutive keywords. These keywords provide control over the language to the programmer. With the help of these keywords, the structure of the program can also be modified.
- It is considered to be the fastest language after assembly language. It is sometimes called low-level language. C language is very close to the hardware. Therefore it is faster than other programming languages.
- Language C is a case-sensitive language.
- C is capable of creating both high level and low-level programs.
- C is an extendable language. You can add new features at any time by using libraries in C programs.
Limitations of C programming language
- Runtime type checking is not done in C language. C programming language is unable to detect the data type of any variable at runtime. For example, the integer value can be entered in the float data type.
- Object does not have any concept in C programming language.
- There is also no concept of constructors and destructors in C.
- There is no concept of namespaces in C language. Therefore it is very difficult to use different programmers’ code in the same project.
- C Programming language does not support code re-usability.
- In C language the exceptions cannot be handled at runtime.
- Most of the operating systems are made in C language. Such as UNIX, Windows etc.
- Compilers are required to compile any new programming language. Compilers are also created in C. For example, java compiler javac is also built in C language.
- Many kinds of assemblers are also created in C language. The assembler converts basic instructions into bits.
- Text editors can also be made in C language. Such as gedit etc.
- Network drivers are also created in the C programming language.
- Database systems are also written in C. Like the oracle is written in the database C itself.
A simple program
int main ()
printf ("Codingkida\ n");
The above program produces the below-given output.
In this tutorial, you have to know about c language history, features, limitations and applications. In the forthcoming tutorials, you will learn how to program in c language. To start programming in C, you will need a C compiler. For detailed information about C compiler, read the next tutorial – Installing c language compiler.
If you like this post Please share this post on your social handles. You can like our Facebook page and you can follow us on twitter and you can subscribe us for further posts. You can also subscribe us on youtube. Thank you very much.